Alumni Educator Spotlight

photo of Katherine HuntWe’ve got another alumni educator spotlight for you! Todays spotlight is with Katherine Sugue Hunt who graduated from the UT Early Childhood Education PreK-3 program in 2012. Read on to see what she’s been up to and her reflections from her time at the ELC and how important it is to focus on relationship and social and emotional development as a teacher. Good to hear from you, Katherine!

Hometown: Knoxville, TN

Accomplishments: School wide Grade Level Coordinator, Head of the Student to Student Peer Tutoring Program, Committee Member of the Technology Initiative

Past Role(s) at the ELC: I assisted in the K/1 Combined Classroom for my practicum internship at White Avenue. After the internship, I worked for the ELC as part of the aftercare program for the K/1 class.

Photo of Katherine Hunt with children overlooking the downtown Knoxville skyline.

A photo from Katherine’s time as a 470 student at the ELC during a study of our community.

Personal Interests: I have always loved art! Lately, I’ve been focusing on calligraphy and watercolor. Both of my parents are from different countries, so my family also loves to travel. Recently I went on a cross-country road trip from Oregon back to the East Coast.

What are you up to now? I moved to New Jersey after graduating. Currently I work at Parkview School in Milltown, New Jersey. I teach a 2nd Grade Inclusion Classroom (… and LOVE it!!).

How did your time at the ELC impact your work as a teacher?

I am so thankful for my time at the ELC, because it helped me grow tremendously. Working there reaffirmed my love of teaching, and also helped me recognize my passion for teaching in an inclusion setting. I could not ask for better mentors than Elizabeth and Dani. Their intentional practices and meaningful communication strategies with their children helped shape my own. It also made mephoto of Katherine Hunt and co-teachers dressed for Halloween realize the importance of teaching socio-emotional skills. Overall, my experience there helped me set goals for the teacher I strive to be.

A lasting memory of your time at the ELC:

A favorite memory of mine has to do with one, special friend. I remember the day that I was in charge of helping a particular child. I was dreading it… This child DID NOT want me to help, and verbalized that very clearly, for many of the days leading up to this particular day. However, through Dani and Elizabeth’s encouragement and guidance, the child and I formed such a sweet friendship. The moment I realized how our relationship changed was such a great victory for me. It reminded me why I love doing what I do – so I will always be his “Kaffwin Suitcase”.